|Creative Thinking... Thoughtful Solutions|
Located on the north shore of Lake Superior, Split Rock Lighthouse is one of the most recognizable and scenic landmarks in Minnesota. Split Rock Lighthouse started operations in 1910 and was used continually to aid navigation on Lake Superior’s waters until 1969. In 1971, it became part of the Split Rock Lighthouse State Park, and in 1976, the Minnesota Historical Society took over its administration, creating the Split Rock Lighthouse Historic Site. The Site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Collaborative Design Group was retained as Restoration Consultant and Historic Preservationist by the Minnesota Historical Society to provide a condition assessment and develop construction documents to preserve and stabilize all of the historic buildings at the Split Rock Light Station. The project included the preservation and stabilization of the Lighthouse, Dwellings, Barns, and Fog Signal building.
Services provided by CDG include building research and assessments, design development, cost estimates, preparation and distribution of construction documents, project bidding, and construction observation. CDG used modern forensic investigation techniques, practical analysis, and innovative restoration techniques including dry ice blasting to remove paint and clean the cast iron elements of the lantern.